Monday 2 November 2009

more tiles...

haha.... well I got the tiles and showed hubby... and he said he didn't like them at all :( He didn't like the feature tiles and he wanted blue floor tiles. I asked him why he didn't tell me this before and he replied with 'well, I didn't think you'd choose tiles like that'. In the end we decided we wouldn't have any blue at all as I didn't want a blue floor and he didn't want the feature. He did like the floor tile for the living area though so we will stick with that. So cream and brown it is! I asked DH to look at some pics of bathrooms and tell me what he liked. We both liked a pic that was all cream tiles with a brown/cream feature tile containing triangles and diamond shapes.

After we decided this I also went to the two other shops in town. One was very modern and WAY out of our price range. It didn't matter anyway as the sales assistants treated me like I didn't exist. They didn't even pretend to serve me. For your information I AM a realistic buyer but you're not getting one cent of our money!!!

The last shop had a really friendly & helpful guy but he was new to the tile selling business and didn't have much range. I tried really hard to find something we would like but he just didn't have anything we were looking for. So the first shop was the best one all along.

Anyway I went back to the first tile shop and politely explained that we had completely changed our minds and would need to pick all new tiles :( I showed the assistant the pictures and he was (again) very helpful. We managed to find some tiles that were very similar to the picture and I was very happy with the results. I took the tiles home (hoping that they would be accepted by DH). When I showed them to him he said that they were ‘ok’ but he didn’t really like the feature that much!!! Argh. Anyway I asked if he could live with them and trust my judgement and he said he thinks he could.

The only problem with these new tiles is that they will cost more. The walls are right on budget, the floor is $2/m2 over (added cost will be an extra $100 for the floor) and the feature is a fair bit over :(. I worked out how much it would cost to put the feature on the entire length of bathroom and kitchen walls and it was going to be $370 extra :( then I realised that we would only need it in actual shower, above vanity and above bath. Now I estimate it will cost an extra $280. The guy also said he might be able to give us some money off if we buy them ourselves so hopefully it will be cheaper than that again. I offered to pay the extra money for the feature as I don’t want to go back again and I really like this design.

So now we haven’t officially decided on anything but I’m hoping DH will come around and agree on these ones. I told him if we are changing again he has to come with me and we won’t leave the shop til we have something locked in!!!

We also looked at the colorbond website. They have a really good interactive section where you can change the colours and features. As a roof colour I liked jasper (a medium brown) and DH wanted zincalume – a silver colour like a shed. We ended up compromising and deciding on paperbark – a cream/pale brown colour) which we were both happy to have. Its funny coz we have never disagreed when making choices like this before (eg when getting our furniture etc) Maybe houses are more long term and the colours are harder to change later on.

And in other news… I rang the builder and asked him a few qns. He is happy to do gloss or diamond gloss laminex bench tops (some builders won’t as they can scratch easily) I think he may have even said we can get diamond gloss at no extra cost! Fingers crossed.

Also he said our start date will be mid January – first thing next year as far as builders go, considering that they have their Christmas break. So that’s the news at the moment. Until the next dilemma…!?! hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment